A behavioral interview is when an employer is seeking to learn more specifically about decisions a candidate made in similar situations.
This technique asks candidates to describe past behaviors which may help the recruiter or interviewer know if the candidate is suitable for the position they’ve applied for.
Answering questions behavioral interview questions can be difficult if not prepared. The key to answering these questions successfully is to use the STAR method. STAR stands for situation, task, action, and result(s). Let’s break it down.
- Use a relevant situation from a previous or current job, internship, or volunteer experience.
- Describe the task or challenge you were given.
- How did you handle the task? What was your interpretation or thought process of the action taken?
- What fact or data can you share that proves the result of your decision in the example?
Using the acronym STAR practice answering the behavioral questions below in groups of 2 or more.
- Can you give me an example of a difficult problem you solved at work? How did you go about reaching a solution?
- Tell me about a time when you had a task to complete with a tight deadline.
- Tell me about a time when you were under a lot of stress. How did you handle this pressure?
Discussion QuestionsWhat are some additional behavioral interview questions you might be asked?
- Why do you think these are important to employers?
- Behavioral interview questions are used to see how you handle challenges and work with others. It allows the interviewer to gain a deeper understanding of how you might fit into the company culture.
- Did you and your group feel this helped you prepare your answers?
- How do employers benefit from asking behavioral questions?
Share feedback you were given.
- This question is to learn about how you acted when you were provided feedback. This could be worked into future interview questions.
- How did you take the feedback and apply it to your answer to make improvements?
Tips and Templates:
- Behavioral Interview Questions and Answers: Use the STAR Technique | Indeed Career Tips
- Top 50 Behavioral Interview Questions and Answers
- 14 Sales Behavioral Interview Questions and Answers
Download a copy of this guide here!